Monday, May 17, 2010

Creag Ghlas bird alert.


Folk might want to know that there IS a nesting Golden Eagle pair on Creag Ghlas (one of my local crags). I went there today and met a party from Glenmore lodge who had also read the MCofS's website and didn't gleam much from its ambiguous info (probably not their fault in any case). I believe that similar ambiguous info was published in CLIMBER mag also (possibly but not sure a i don't read it).
Well yes there is a mating pair there for sure who put in an appearance for a while when we were half way up the crag. They scarpered and so did we. I'm unclear as to whether it would be ok to climb on the side of the crag (which is big) that doesn't have the nest as i have no idea how spooked they get, it would be a great shame if they abandoned it. Indeed, i'm not even sure i should be posting this?! Do eggers trawl the blogosphere? If there is an etiquette then please email me and let me know. I'll email the MCof S and update them and i have already contacted the local ranger and filled him in. What would be ideal would be a sign at the start of the track as climbers wouldn't have wasted any time on approaching and could just turn around and drive to another crag, but would this draw unwanted attention? Answers on a postcard.

1 comment:

Alan said...

Cheers James, you've probably just saved me a wasted journey!
Al